CollectionAfghanistan Web Archive The Afghanistan Web Archive is comprised primarily of websites produced by the Afghan government, specifically the executive branch. Also included are a selection of sites from statistical reporting agencies, banking institutions, universities,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. African and Middle Eastern Division
- Date: 2009
Collection Items: View 22 Items
CollectionAmerica at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915 Work, school, and leisure activities in the United States from 1894 to 1915 are featured in this presentation of 150 motion pictures. Highlights include films of the United States Postal Service from...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 158 Items
CollectionAmerican Federation of Labor Records The records of the American Federation of Labor (AFL) span the years 1883-1925 and consist of letterpress volumes of correspondence of Samuel Gompers (1850-1924) and William Green (1870-1952), presidents of the organization,...
- Contributor: American Federation of Labor
Collection Items: View 359 Items
CollectionBain Collection The George Grantham Bain Collection represents the photographic files of one of America's earliest news picture agencies. The collection richly documents sports events, theater, celebrities, crime, strikes, disasters, political activities including the...
- Contributor: Bain, George Grantham - Bain News Service
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41,447 Items
CollectionBusiness in America Web Archive The Business in America Web Archive is a collection of websites of major companies that have appeared on the Fortune 500 list. Today's large corporations communicate to customers, shareholders, and others via...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. Science, Technology, and Business Division
- Date: 2015
Collection Items: View 581 Items
CollectionCabinet of American Illustration Contains more than four thousand original drawings by American book, magazine, and newspaper illustrators, made primarily between 1880 and 1910. The collection includes illustrations for magazines, novels, and children's books; cartoons; cover...
- Contributor: Rogers, W. A. (William Allen) - Frost, A. (Arthur Burdett) - Elliott, Elizabeth Shippen Green - Fogarty, Thomas - Herford, Oliver - Steele, Frederic Dorr - Beard, Daniel Carter - Wright, George Hand - Yohn, F. C. (Frederick Coffay) - Smedley, W. T. (William Thomas)
- Date: 1830
Collection Items: View 3,932 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings Offers more than 9,000 original drawings for editorial cartoons, caricatures, and comic strips spanning the late 1700s to the present, primarily from 1880 to 1980. The cartoons cover people and events throughout...
- Contributor: Bartholomew, Charles Lewis - Mauldin, Bill - Johnson, Herbert - Frueh, Alfred Joseph - Berryman, Clifford Kennedy - Cesare, Oscar Edward - Kirby, Rollin - Crockett, Gib - Covarrubias, Miguel - Mahony, Felix - Conacher, John C. - Mu?a??i?, Ardashīr - Kelly, Walt - Harrington, Oliver W. (Oliver Wendell)
- Date: 1794
Collection Items: View 5,898 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Swann Collection of Caricature and Cartoon Contains 2,085 drawings, prints, and paintings related to the art of caricature, cartoon, and illustration, spanning the years 1780 to 1977 and includes works by 521 American and foreign artists and illustrators....
- Contributor: Caroline and Erwin Swann Collection (Library of Congress) - Swann, Erwin
- Date: 1780
Collection Items: View 775 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, British The Prints and Photographs Division holds one of the largest collections of British political and satirical prints in America. The approximately 9,000 prints (approximately 8,500 distinct images) in the collection highlight British...
- Date: 1650
Collection Items: View 954 Items
CollectionEugene Meyer Papers The subject files, 1929-1959, of investment banker, financier, public official, and newspaperman Eugene Meyer (1875-1959) relating to his tenure as fifth chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, 1930-1933, consist of correspondence, memoranda,...
- Contributor: Meyer, Eugene
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives The photographs of the Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection form an extensive pictorial record of American life between 1935 and 1944. This U.S. government photography project was...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 170,907 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Photographers working for the U.S. government's Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) between 1939 and 1944 made approximately 1,600 color photographs that depict life in the...
- Contributor: Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration ... Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - Lee, Russell - Vachon, John - Rous, John - Bransby, David - Siegel, Arthur S. - Rothstein, Arthur - Liberman, Howard - Delano, Jack - Hollem, Howard R. - Sherwood, Mark - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M.
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,623 Items
CollectionHome Sweet Home: Life in Nineteenth-Century Ohio Before the age of radio, television, and other electronic diversions, families made their own entertainment in the home by playing games, reading aloud, performing plays, and, of course, by making music. Children...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 36 Items
CollectionInside an American Factory: Films of the Westinghouse Works, 1904 The Westinghouse Works Collection contains 21 actuality films showing various views of Westinghouse companies. Most prominently featured are the Westinghouse Air Brake Company, the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company, and the Westinghouse...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Bitzer, G. W. - American Mutoscope and Biograph Company - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 39 Items
CollectionInventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies This site features 341 motion pictures, 81 disc sound recordings, and other related materials, such as photographs and original magazine articles. Cylinder sound recordings will be added to this site in the...
- Date: 1847
Collection Items: View 432 Items
CollectionLewis Carroll Scrapbooks An original scrapbook that was kept by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. Better known as Lewis Carroll, the Victorian-era children’s author of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (1865) and Through the Looking-Glass (1871), Dodgson was...
CollectionLewis H. Machen Family Papers The Gresham family material in the Lewis H. Machen Family Papers consists of seven diaries kept by Georgia teenager LeRoy Wiley Gresham (1847-1865) during the Civil War, and approximately 550 items of...
- Contributor: Machen, James P. - Machen, Arthur Webster - Machen, Lewis H. (Lewis Henry) - Machen, Minnie Gresham - Machen, Emmeline - Gresham, Leroy Wiley - Machen, Caroline Webster
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionThe Life of a City: Early Films of New York, 1898-1906 This collection contains forty-five films of New York dating from 1898 to 1906 from the Paper Print Collection of the Library of Congress. Of these, twenty-five were made by the American Mutoscope...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division - Kleine (George) Collection (Library of Congress) - Afi/Post (George) Collection (Library of Congress) - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Afi/Staples (Robert) & Charles (Barbara) Collection (Library of Congress) - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1897
Collection Items: View 54 Items
CollectionLook Collection The Look Magazine Photograph Collection is a vast photographic archive created to illustrate Look Magazine and related publications produced by companies founded by Gardner Cowles. The cataloged portion of the collection totals...
- Contributor: Cowles Communications, Inc
- Date: 1937
Collection Items: View 6,348 Items
CollectionLowell Folklife Project Collection The Lowell Folklife Project was conducted in 1987-1988 as a cooperative project of the American Folklife Center and the Lowell Historic Preservation Commission, with support from the Massachusetts Council on the Arts...
- Contributor: Rankin, Tom - Taylor, David Alan - Lowell Historic Preservation Commission (U.S.) - Wachs, Eleanor F. - Lueders-Booth, John - Bell, Michael Edward - University of Lowell - American Folklife Center - Bartis, Peter - United States. National Park Service ... Rankin, Tom - Taylor, David Alan - Lowell Historic Preservation Commission (U.S.) - Wachs, Eleanor F. - Lueders-Booth, John - Bell, Michael Edward - University of Lowell - American Folklife Center - Bartis, Peter - United States. National Park Service - Norkunas, Martha K. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Lowell National Historical Park (Lowell, Mass.) - Fertig, Barbara C. - Refugee Arts Group - Monta?o, Mario - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - DeNatale, Douglas - Massachusetts Council on the Arts and Humanities
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,140 Items
CollectionManuscript Division Web Archive The Manuscript Division Web Archive includes principally websites of organizations with which the Division has an existing relationship. Although diverse in content, they fall into several broad categories. First, there are sites...
- Contributor: National Council of Jewish Women - American Studies Association - Sigmund Freud Copyrights (Firm) - Society of Woman Geographers - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - Sigmund Freud Archives - Library of Congress - Ameen Rihani Organization - Sigmund Freud Museum (Vienna, Austria) - National Consumers' League ... National Council of Jewish Women - American Studies Association - Sigmund Freud Copyrights (Firm) - Society of Woman Geographers - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - Sigmund Freud Archives - Library of Congress - Ameen Rihani Organization - Sigmund Freud Museum (Vienna, Austria) - National Consumers' League - Phi Beta Kappa - Center for International Private Enterprise - Dr. Frederick A. Cook Society - National Democratic Institute for International Affairs - Macdowell Colony (Peterborough, N.H.) - League of Women Voters (U.S.) - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics - Historical Society of the District of Columbia Circuit - Navy League of the United States - American Council of Learned Societies - Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training - National Coalition for History - Solidarity Center (Afl-Cio) - National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (U.S.) - National Endowment for Democracy (U.S.) - Civil Rights Coalition for the 21st Century - American Historical Association - American Society of Landscape Architects - National Urban League - Freud Museum (London, England) - Streit Council for a Union of Democracies
- Date: 2008
Collection Items: View 38 Items
CollectionNational Child Labor Committee Collection Working as an investigative photographer for the National Child Labor Committee (NCLC), Lewis Hine (1874-1940) documented working and living conditions of children in the United States between 1908 and 1924. The NCLC...
- Contributor: Hine, Lewis Wickes - National Child Labor Committee (U.S.)
- Date: 1908
Collection Items: View 5,130 Items
CollectionNational Photo Company Collection This collection documents virtually all aspects of Washington, D.C., life. During the administrations of Presidents Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover, the National Photo Company supplied photographs of current news events in Washington,...
- Contributor: National Photo Company
- Date: 1909
Collection Items: View 35,619 Items
CollectionNelson W. Aldrich Papers The files, 1908-1912, of the National Monetary Commission (2,362 items; 4,724 images) from the papers of U.S. representative and senator from Rhode Island Nelson W. Aldrich (1841-1915) are part of a larger...
- Contributor: Nichols, Jeannette Paddock - Aldrich, Nelson W. (Nelson Wilmarth) - United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Finance - Stephenson, Nathaniel W. (Nathaniel Wright) - Aldrich, Abby Pearce Chapman
Collection Items: View 64 Items
CollectionOccupational Folklife Project The Occupational Folklife Project (OFP) began in 2010 as a multi-year project by the American Folklife Center (AFC) to document the culture of contemporary American workers during an era of economic and...
- Contributor: Aalund, Niels Anders - Thibodeaux, Terry James - Quesada, José Angel - Braun, Leo J. - Diehl, William J. - Holland, Benny - Larrimer, George - Seeba, Patrick - Morrell, David C. - Patton, William Benjamin ... Aalund, Niels Anders - Thibodeaux, Terry James - Quesada, José Angel - Braun, Leo J. - Diehl, William J. - Holland, Benny - Larrimer, George - Seeba, Patrick - Morrell, David C. - Patton, William Benjamin - Dickens, Michael W. - Hilliard, Townsend W. - Olsen, Eric Carl - Glass, Matthew H. - Dodd, Harold L. - Potoczniak, Anthony - Gage, Charles H. - Hensley, James J. - Corgey, Dean - Kersey, Bobby C. - Blume, Dana - Henry, Mark - Usher, Michael Gene - King, Charles H. - Fitzgerald, Clyde - Thompson, Robert L. - Vest, Lou C. - Mayville, Donnie D. - Peterson, Betsy - American Folklife Center - Montgomery, Charles R. - Mims, Doug - Martinez, Gilbert - Harris, Timothy C. - Burkett, Joe L. - Bennett, Steven R. - Halbert, David Maurice - Occupational Folklife Project - Shaffer, Harold L. - Lindahl, Carl - Jasper, Pat - Hausinger, William - Keenan, Gordie - Hennessey, William S. - Cooney, James Patrick - Lightsey, Thomas N. - Glass, Leonard - Robb, Alan A. - Paysse, Charlie Lou - Lebert, Lindberg A. - Hilliard, Henry - Ramirez, Gilda - Bludworth, Richard W. - Harris, Eugene - Patout, Rivers - Rousser, C. A. - Tray, James Thomas - Laws, Andrew L. - Houston Arts Alliance - Tellepsen, Tom - Postel, Adolph C.
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 411 Items
CollectionTransportation and Communication These maps document the development and status of transportation and communication systems on the national, state, and local level. Transportation maps can depict canal and river systems, cycling routes , railway lines...
Collection Items: View 1,127 Items
CollectionWorking in Paterson: Occupational Heritage in an Urban Setting This collection presents 470 interview excerpts and 3882 photographs from the Working in Paterson Folklife Project of the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress. The four-month study of occupational culture...
- Contributor: McCarl, Robert - Smith, Lynda S. - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Taylor, David Alan - Cooper, Martha - American Folklife Center - United States. National Park Service. Mid-Atlantic Regional Office - Lloyd, Timothy Charles - Levitas, Susan - Pascrell, Bill - Lautenberg, Frank R. - Carroll, Thomas Deblasio - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1993
Collection Items: View 4,388 Items
CollectionWorld's Transportation Commission This collection contains nearly nine hundred images by American photographer William Henry Jackson. In addition to railroads, elephants, camels, horses, sleds and sleighs, sedan chairs,rickshaws, and other types of transportation, Jackson photographed...
- Contributor: Jackson, William Henry
- Date: 1894
Collection Items: View 888 Items