Library of Congress Announces Limited Access to an On-site Electronic Resource Center for Researchers
The ERC will operate on a modified schedule during the holidays celebrated in November and December.
- During the week of November 23-27, the ERC will be open for on-site appointments Monday-Wednesday from 9:00 am – 4:45 pm and will be closed on Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) and Friday. Researchers may reach the ERC scheduling phone line on Friday, November 27, even though the on-site facility will be closed.
- During the week of December 21-25, the ERC will be open for on-site appointments Monday-Wednesday from 9:00 am – 4:45 pm and will be closed on Thursday (Christmas Eve) and Friday (Christmas Day).
- During the week of December 28 – January 1, the ERC will be open for on-site appointments Monday-Wednesday from 9:00 am – 4:45 pm and will be closed on Thursday (New Year’s Eve) and Friday (New Year’s Day).
Due to the COVID-19 coronavirus, Library of Congress buildings and facilities are closed to the public and researchers with reader identification cards. Reading rooms and printed materials remain unavailable at this time.
However, beginning Monday, September 28, the Library will provide limited access by appointment only for researchers to access rights restricted digital content and other licensed electronic resources on-site. The Library is making these resources available in a temporary Electronic Resources Center.
To confirm an appointment, researchers MUST call (202) 707-3399. A librarian will answer each call to assign an appointment date and time, discuss available electronic resources on-site, and provide research guidance.
Confirmed appointments at fixed times of day are required before coming on-site. The temporary Electronic Resources Center is in the Library’s Madison Building, across the street from the main Jefferson Building. Each appointment is limited to appointment times on the hour, and appointments will be for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Additional research outside of the Electronic Resources Center is not available until the Library fully opens. Due to physical spacing requirements, only one unaccompanied person will be authorized for each appointment. There are 10 spaces available in the center.
- Wear a mask: Everyone must wear a barrier mask or cloth face covering that fully covers the nose and mouth when arriving at Library buildings and inside the Library, including bathrooms.
- Follow social distancing policies: Pay attention to posted signs throughout the corridor leading to the Electronic Resources Center to ensure physical distancing and other health precautions.
- Comply with all health procedures: At the time an appointment is made, health screening information will be provided before entering.
Disposable keyboard and mouse covers and cleaning wipes will be provided to researchers at the start of each session. To ensure public safety, the Library has increased cleaning of public spaces and restrooms. In addition, hand sanitizer stations have been installed, and are available in the hallway near this limited research workspace.
Researchers coming to the Library from areas outside of the Washington, DC metro area must follow Washington, D.C.’s Phase 2 requirements, including a 14 day self-quarantine for travelers arriving from high-risk states. Out-of-area researchers should also review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s travel guidance.
The final decision on providing researchers access to the Library will be made by Friday, September 25, 2020, and the scheduled start may change based on local area and on-site conditions.
Researchers requiring an ADA accommodation for their visit must make a request at least five days before their planned appointment by contacting ADA@loc.gov or (202) 707-6024.
This page will be updated when there is new information for researchers and access to reading rooms is available.